Our integration of engineering, planning, and environmental expertise on the same project design team results in much more functional, aesthetic and sustainable developments, while adding real value for our clients.
By combining our wealth of experience and capability with typical “small firm” attributes, such as direct project involvement by senior staff, responsiveness and lower overhead costs, our clients consistently receive superior quality service and value. Utilizing the latest tools, such as AutoCAD Civil 3D, MicroStation, Carlson and SITEOPS software, along with robotics, GPS and GPR, CES Group is well equipped, well staffed and well positioned to meet the schedule and budget requirements of your next project.
Explore our work through a sampling of Respresentative Projects.
CES Group Engineers, LLP was organized in June, 2011 as a professional engineering and land surveying firm, and as a woman-owned small business (WOSB) enterprise. A predecessor company was established in March, 2000 as a professional engineering design firm by civil/environmental engineer, Chuck Heleine, PE, and by Judy Heleine, REM, an environmental biologist and former industrial chemist with more than 25 years of environmental consulting and management experience. Today, the firm is led by Judy Heleine, Managing Partner, David Lutz, PE, Partner, and a management team of engineers, planners, surveyors, and scientists, who together possess more than 160 years of engineering and project management experience. CES Group has achieved a remarkable record of improving, protecting and restoring the built environment, through the delivery of intelligent, timely and cost-effective solutions.
CES Group has completed thousands of public and private sector projects, including service to municipalities, state and federal government agencies, developers, builders, architects, engineers, schools, financial institutions, attorneys, and owners of commercial, industrial, institutional, residential, and landfill facilities. Building on past success, while constantly adapting to a dynamic maze of regulatory requirements and evolving client needs, our team stands ready to provide the technical expertise, management skills and seasoned professionalism needed to successfully complete projects of wide-ranging scope and complexity.
Our multidisciplinary experience is reflected in Our Credentials:
National and Federal Certifications
- National Women's Business Enterprise (WBE) - WBE National Council (WBENC)
- Woman-Owned Small Business (WOSB)
- NC HUB
- NCDOT Prequalified
- NCDOT DBE, WBE & SPSF
- SC DBE
- SC SMBCC, WBE
- VA DBE
- WMATA DBE (Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority)
- City of Charlotte SBE/WBE
- Mecklenburg County SBE/WBE
- City of Raleigh SDMWOB
- City of Durham SDBE
- City of Charleston WBE
- Charleston County SBE
Firm & Personnel Licenses
- Professional Engineering License (NC, SC, VA, MD, TN, IL, PA)
- Professional Land Surveying License (NC, SC)
- Asbestos Inspector License (SC)
- Project Management Professional (PMI)
- LEED Accredited Professional
- Registered Environmental Manager
- Registered Environmental Property Assessor
- Level III-A&B Erosion Control Designers
- Level II Erosion & Sediment Control Inspector
- Stormwater BMP Professional
- Certified Floodplain Surveyor
- OSHA 40-Hour HAZWOPER Certification
- Rail Safety Certifications
Our Management Team has decades of experience across our service areas.
Judy Heleine, REM
Managing Partner / Principal Scientist BS Environmental Biology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Registered Environmental Manager - NREP
David Lutz, PE
Partner / Principal Engineer
BS Civil Engineering, Clemson University
Licensed Professional Engineer: NC, SC, MD, IL
Kent Hudson, PLS
Partner / Geomatics & SUE Division Manager AS Civil Engineering & AS Graphics Technology, York Technical College
Licensed Professional Land Surveyor: NC, SC
Greg Hans, PMP
Environmental Division Manager BS Environmental Studies, University of Massachusetts at Amherst
Certified Project Management Professional (PMI)
Tom Cannarella, PE, LEED AP
Civil Engineering Division Manager BS Civil Engineering with Environmental Concentration, University of Delaware Licensed Professional Engineer: SC
LEED Accredited Professional
- To plan, design and monitor the constructed quality of ecologically sound physical improvements that benefit our clients and the public
- To develop innovative solutions for the restoration, protection and enhancement of the natural environment, through the measured application of technology
- To conduct business in a way that helps maintain or increase public respect for the honored profession of engineering
The accomplishment of our mission is dependent upon our commitment to the following core values:
- Production of the highest quality work product is a direct result of attention to detail, rigid ethical standards, technical expertise and diligent effort.
- By placing a higher priority on quality than on profits, fair returns follow naturally.
- Continued growth of our organization and enhancement of the services we offer will occur through the ongoing training and development of personnel, recognition and reward for innovation and hard work, active involvement in professional organizations, and a willingness to make changes reflective of society’s ever evolving needs.